Jean and I

Jean and I

Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Many years ago Kirkintilloch district had three institutions for mentally deficient people; now there are none. The earliest was Woodilee Hospital (known to us as “the asylum”) which functioned from 1875 till 2001. Then came Waverley Park Home 1906 -1993, and from 1936 till 2002 Lennox Castle Hospital.

I knew Waverley Park very well, for I entertained there on many occasions. When it opened, its purpose was to provide for the “Care of Defective and Feeble-minded Children”. In practice it was a home for girls and women. Some of the latter seemed very old to me and and I suspect that they had been among the first occupants of the home.

The girls were always thrilled when visitors came to entertain, and enjoyed taking part. A church dramatic club which performed comedy plays was very popular, and my violinist friends and I provided music between the acts.

A few of the girls who were more intelligent worked outside as domestic helps, and one in particular was employed by a local doctor for many years. All of them went out en masse each week, on Sunday mornings to church, and to the cinema on Saturday afternoons. 

I used to dread meeting them in the street. They walked in a long line two by two, and, if they happened to see me across the road, they would nudge each other and point. Some were bold enough to wave. I'm afraid I was too embarrassed to respond. If I saw them before they saw me, I would take avoiding action by darting into a shop, and wait there till they had passed.


-o0o-

No comments:

Post a Comment