Jean and I

Jean and I

Saturday, April 22, 2017

No.6

When I was a young boy, Easter wasn’t really important in Scottish life. Holy Week wasn’t observed and as for Good Friday - that was the day we got hot cross buns! Easter Monday was the Spring holiday in Glasgow, but in many other towns it was either the Monday before or the Monday after.

On Sunday morning of course we attended church. That was certainly an important occasion because, apart from the bright hymns we sang, Easter Sunday was the day when all the women and girls turned out in new hats, dresses, etc. And I’m sure there was quite a bit of rivalry between certain ladies!

It was just recently I learned that by the end of the 16th century it had become the fashion to wear new clothes at Easter. Much later, Poor Robin, an 18th century almanac maker is recorded as saying -

At Easter let your clothes be new
Or else be sure you will it rue.

-o0o-




When I saw this squirrel stationary on the telephone wire, I dashed inside to get my camera. Surprisingly, it was still there when I returned and I was delighted with the result.

That was in 2009. Since then, we usually have a little squirrel around during the summer months and very often he will perform the tight-rope act.

The one who visited us in 2015 was quite tame. When I was in the garden, it didn't dart away but would stay put, munching happily while keeping a firm eye on me. 

On one occasion I decided I would see how near I could get to the little creature. Moving very, very slowly, I gradually advanced towards him. When he was almost at my feet, I began to lower one hand and I was astonished when he stopped chewing and sat motionless looking up at me. I reached down and gently touched him and ever so slowly stroked his head.

It was a wonderful experience. Perhaps if I had been a real nature lover, I might have tried to develop the relationship, but the thought never entered my mind. I now think of what I missed.


-o0o-

The Tragedy of the S.S.Daphne


On 3rd July 1883 there occurred in Glasgow what many believed was the worst accident ever on the River Clyde.

The launching of a ship was always a great event attracting many sight-seers, and this occasion was no exception. Some of the tradesmen were still working on the vessel when the launch took place and others had come on board just to experience the thrill of it.

Going down the launching pad, the ship seemed to keel over and on striking the water capsized and sank immediately. The death toll was 124 men and boys, and some families lost both father and son.

Among those drowned was a relative of ours, John Murrie. He was in his mid-twenties and on 9th June the previous year he had married into our Graham family when he took as his wife Isabella Graham (1852-1936).

Although the subsequent inquiry failed to find any criminal negligence, recommendations were made which led to important safety regulations in shipbuilding.


-o0o-

Primary One in Lairdsland School 1929


I’m in the middle row, 4th from Left. (Notice the butterfly?) On my left is Johnny Lang - we came in contact with each other very often through our music, he played trumpet and was associated with the Players Club. In the front row 4th from the left is Archie Little who played violin in our music group at Lenzie Academy.

And here are a few memories of my time at primary school.

I REMEMBER that in the wintertime we went to school wrapped up in layers of clothing. Boys always wore caps and short trousers; in those days we had to wait till we were 15 or 16 before we got long trousers.

I REMEMBER that, if there was torrential rain in the morning, the school would close at lunchtime and we got a half-holiday. In such weather the boys would cram into the playground shelter at the morning interval, stand up on the long wooden bench and stamp their feet in time to their repeated cry of “We want a hauf!” (a half-day).

I REMEMBER that sometimes a pupil would have an epileptic fit in the classroom. The child was usually writhing on the floor, while the rest of us sat in awed silence. I don’t recall the teacher attending to the victim - the fit passed quite quickly and the lesson was resumed.

I REMEMBER that a good number of my class-mates came from much poorer homes than ours. Those boys were all dressed alike, in trousers and jackets of a coarse brown material which had been provided by the School Board.

I REMEMBER that “the basket class” met in the church hall across the road. This was for children who were considered to be uneducable and included a whole range of cases from just a bit simple to mentally defective. They passed their time doing handwork and, although part of our school, there was no contact between them and us.

I REMEMBER there was an important event which hadn't happened before. The headmaster visited our class. Now, I’ve no idea what he spoke to us about for, like the rest of the class, I was sitting shaking in fear of this great man.
When he finished, he turned to the pupils in the back row and asked the first one, “How long is the River Clyde?" There was silence! We were horrified when he produced his strap and belted the boy. He directed the same question to the next pupil, and again, when no answer was forthcoming, he used his strap. And so he continued along the row, gradually getting nearer to where I sat, trying to appear invisible. No one knew the answer and the punishments continued till it was my turn. But - miracle of miracles! He didn’t ask me. Instead he told us the answer, and chided us for not having paid attention to his little talk.  (I still don't know how long the Clyde is).


The River Clyde near Abington

-o0o-

P.S. The Clyde is 109 miles long.
P.P.S. Thinking back to the episode with the headmaster, I realise as an adult that my escape was no miracle. He would be aware that my aunt was a teacher on his staff.


THE NEXT UPDATE FOR THE SCRAPBLOG 
WILL BE ON SATURDAY 6th MAY

-o=0=o-



No comments:

Post a Comment